In stroke, CT Scan is a standard gold examination to distinguish infarction from bleeding. The stereology principle of the Cavalieri method has been used in several studies that calculate the volume of ischemia and the volume of bleeding in the radiological photos of stroke patients. The availability of stereology software in Indonesia is still limited. Measurement of the volume of ischemia of the brain is still using a manual way that is with a grid of points. The accuracy of this technique still needs to be proven. This study aims to find out the accuracy of cavalieri method in measuring the volume of brain hemorrhage in CT Scan photos of stroke patients. The study consisted of two groups. Group A is the volume of bleeding that comes from CT scan photos without the Cavalieri method. Group B is the volume of bleeding derived from CT scan photos with the Cavalieri method. The difference in bleeding volume was analyzed using t-test. The results of the study did not differ in measuring the volume of bleeding between the CT Scan method and the Cavalieri method (p > 0.05). This indicates that the result of measuring the volume of bleeding by Cavalieri method is the same as the measurement result using CT Scan.
There is no Figure or data content available for this article
2. Schmitz C, Hof PR. Design-Based Stereology in Neuroscience. Neuros. 2005;130:813–31.
3. Partadiredja G. Stereologi dan aplikasinya pada penelitian miomedis:konsep konsep dasar. Medika. 2016;5:265–9.
4. Varoglu AO, KUYUCU M, DEMIR R, ACEMOGLU H, CAN I, AKCAY F. Prognostic Values of Lesion Volume and Biochemical Markers in Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Stroke: a Stereological and Clinical Study. Int J Neurosci [Internet]. 2009;119(12):2206–18. Available from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/00207450903222733
5. Mendez M, Mendez-Lopez M, Lopez L, Arias J. Comparison between stereology methods for cell volume assessment: exemplified by estimation of neuronal nuclear volume in cirrhotic rats. Marta Méndez 1 , Magdalena Méndez-López, Laudino López, Jorge Luis Arias Laboratory of Psychobiology. Faculty of Psyc. Rev Electron Metodol Apl. 2007;12:16–24.
6. WallÃ¸e S, Pakkenberg B, Fabricius K. Stereological estimation of total cell numbers in the human cerebral and cerebellar cortex. Front Hum Neurosci [Internet]. 2014;8(July):1–9. Available from: http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fnhum.2014.00508/abstract
7. Davanlou M, Smith DF. Unbiased Stereological Estimation of Different Cell Types in Rat Cerebral Cortex. Image Anal Stereol. 2004;23(1):1–11.
8. Gregoire SM. Cerebral Microbleeds as a Marker of Small Vessel Disease?: New Insights from Neuro-imaging and Clinical Studies in Stroke Patients by. UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON; 2013.
9. Tuttolomondo A, Raimondo D Di, Pecoraro R, Arnao V, Pinto A, Licata G. Inflammation in Ischemic Stroke Subtypes. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18(28):4289–310.
10. Jiménez-Roldán L, Alén JF, Gómez P a., Lobato RD, Ramos A, Munarriz PM, et al. Volumetric analysis of subarachnoid hemorrhage: assessment of the reliability of two computerized methods and their comparison with other radiographic scales. J Neurosurg. 2012;118(January):1–10.
11. Liu J, Xia S, Hanks RA, Wiseman NM, Peng C, Zhou S, et al. Susceptibility Weighted Imaging and Mapping of Micro-hemorrhages and Major Deep Veins after Traumatic Brain Injury. JNeurotrauma. 2015;21(1557-9042 (Electronic)):1–44.
12. Parinding NTA, Ali RH, Tubagus VN. Gambaran Hasil Pemeriksaan Ct Scan Kepala Pada Penderita Stroke Hemoragik Di Bagian Radiologi Fk. Unsrat/Smf Radiologi Blu Rsup Prof. Dr. R. D. Kandou Manado. J e-Clinic. 2015;3(April):93–7.
13. Partadiredja G. Stereologi dan aplikasinya pada penelitian-penelitian biomedis:pengukuran parameter tiga dimensi. Medika. 2016;06:324–31.
14. Dehghani F, Hosseini SF, Jalli R, Karimi F, Masoudi MS. Pre- and Post-Operative Volume Estimation of Medulloblastoma Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging?: A Stereological Study. Iran J Radiol. 2020;17(3):1–7.
15. Worp HB Van Der, Claus SP, Bär PR, Ramos LMP, Algra A, Gijn J Van, et al. Reproducibility of Measurements of Cerebral Infarct Volume on CT Scans. Stroke. 2001;32:424–30.
16. Stocchetti N, Croci M, Spagnoli D, Gilardoni F, Resta F. Mass volume measurement in severe head injury?: accuracy and feasibility of two pragmatic methods. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2000;68:14–7.
17. Eriksen N, Rostrup E, Andersen K, Lauritzen MJ, Fabricius M. Application of stereological estimates in patients with severe head injuries using CT and MR scanning images. Br J Radiol. 2010;83(April):307–17.
18. Kalaiselvi T, Kumarashankar P, Sriramakrishnan P. Reliability of Segmenting Brain Tumor and Finding Optimal Volume Estimator for MR Images of Patients with Glioma ’ s. Int J Innov Technol Explor Eng. 2019;8(9):1647–53.
19. Watson F, Coppi AA, Volk HA, Packer RMA, Tauro A, Rusbridge C. Comparison of volume of the forebrain , subarachnoid space and lateral ventricles between dogs with idiopathic epilepsy and controls using a stereological approach?: Cavalieri ’ s principle. Canine Med Genet. Canine Medicine and Genetics; 2021;8(3):1–12.
20. Guven G, Sahin B, Aksaray G, Ozden H, Baylan G, Adapinar B. The estimation of cerebral asymmetries in schizophrenia by the Cavalieri principle. Neuroscience. 2008;14(1):67–70.
21. Tatar A, Ozmen HK, Yoruk O. Evaluation of Volume of Nasopharyngeal Cancers by the Cavalieri Principle. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev. 2018;19:2403–7.
How to Cite This
Copyright and Permissions
Publishing your paper with Jurnal Teknologi Kesehatan (Jurtekkes) means that the author or authors retain the copyright in the paper. Jurtekkes granted an exclusive reuse license by the author(s), but the author(s) are able to put the paper onto a website, distribute it to colleagues, give it to students, use it in your thesis etc, even commercially. The author(s) can reuse the figures and tables and other information contained in their paper published by Jurtekkes in future papers or work without having to ask anyone for permission, provided that the figures, tables or other information that is included in the new paper or work properly references the published paper as the source of the figures, tables or other information, and the new paper or work is not direct at private monetary gain or commercial advantage.
Jurtekkes journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. This journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This license lets others remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
Jurtekkes journal Open Access articles are distributed under this Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA). Articles can be read and shared for All purposes under the following conditions:
- BY: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- SA: If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.