Stimulation of endorphin massage, oxytocin massage, and suggestive (SPEOS) method activates let-down reflex (LDR) of postpartum mother
Breast milk is the most important food, especially in the first months of a baby's life. The process of releasing milk also depends on the Let Down Reflex (LDR). One way to facilitate breast milk production is to apply the Stimulation of Endorphin Massage Oxytocin Massage, and Suggestive (SPEOS) method. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of the SPEOS Method on LDR Activation Postpartum. The study design used a pre-experimental one-group pretest-posttest. The location of the study was conducted at the public health of Denpasar. The research period was from May to October 2019. The population was postpartum mothers at the public health care of Denpasar and fulfilled the specified inclusion criteria. The data collection instrument used a questionnaire. Statistical analysis with Wilcoxon test. The result found that the median of LDR postpartum before the SPEOS method (2 with a range of 1-3) and after the SPEOS method (5 with a range of 4-6) indicated an increase in the LDR score (p-value <0.001). SPEOS method increases the activation of LDR in postpartum. Public health centers and health workers need to compile and set operational standards for SPEOS procedures and implement this method for postpartum mothers.
There is no Figure or data content available for this article
- Ministry of Health. Indonesian Ministry of Health. Indonesian Health Profile 2017. J Health Sciences. 2018;
- Ministry of Health. Indonesia Health Profile 2019. Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia. 2020.
- Roesli U. Knowing Exclusive Breastfeeding. Jakarta: Trubus Agriwidya; 2009. 2–47 p.
- Bali Provincial Health Office. Bali Province Health Profile 2019 [Internet]. Denpasar; 2020. Available from: https://www.diskes.baliprov.go.id/download/profile-kesehatan-2019/
- Denpasar City Health Office. Denpasar City Health Profile 2017. Denpasar; 2018.
- Sitohang MY. Most mothers in Indonesia do not give exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months, what is the cause? [Internet]. Indonesia; 2018. Available from: https://theconversation.com/sebesar-ibu-di-indonesia-no-beri-asi-ekslusif-6-bulan-apa-pengtangannya-100958
- Haryono. Benefits of Exclusive Breastfeeding. 3rd ed. Yogyakarta: New Library; 2014.
- Fraser DM, Cooper MA, Fletcher G. Myles' textbook of midwives. Jakarta EGC. 2009;
- Perinasia. Lactation Management: Towards Safe Delivery and Healthy Birth Babies. 2nd ed. Vol. 2. Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama; 2004.
- Mas'adah. Techniques for Increasing and Streamlining Breast Milk Production in Post Section Caesarian Mothers. Mataram: Ministry of Health Poltekkes Mataram; 2013.
- Nugraheni DE, Heryati K. Speos Method (Endorphin, Oxytocin and Suggestive Massage Stimulation) Can Increase Breast Milk Production and Increase Baby's Weight. J Health. 2017;
- Ministry of Health RI. Breastfeeding counseling training. Jakarta: Directorate General of Public Health Development Directorate of Community Nutrition; 2007.
- J. W, K. G, S. MB, B. P, AMS Association of oxytocin during breastfeeding with maternal depression and anxiety symptoms. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;
- Leng G, Feng J. Modeling the Milk-Ejection Reflex. In: Computational Neuroendocrinology. 2016.
- Sharma A, Verma D. Endorphins: Endogenous Opioids in Human Cells. World J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2014;
- Grant G. Beta Endorphins & Wellness. Glob J Addict Rehabil Med. 2017;
- Vera M, Laura BE, Paul ZJ. Massage increases oxytocin and reduces ACTH in humans. Altern Ther. 2012;
- Sriasih, SST, M.Kes NGK, Choirul Hadi, SKM, M.Kes M, Suindri, S.Si.T., M.Keb NN, Surati, M.Kes GA, Mahayati, SST., M.Keb NMD. The Effect of Massage Therapy Using Frangipani Aromatherapy Oil to Reduce the Childbirth Pain Intensity. Int J Ther Massage Bodyw Res Educ Pract. 2019;
- Nurcahyo H, Purgiyanti. Utilization of Cambodian Flower (Plumeria Alba) as Aromatherapy and Mosquito Repellent. J Thinkers [Internet]. 2017;6(1). Available from: https://www.ejournal.poltektegal.ac.id/index.php/parapemikir/article/viewFile/479/431
- Rahmawati A, Bisepta P. Hypnobreastfeeding to Increase Breast Milk Production in Working Breastfeeding Mothers. National Seminar and Prod. 2017;
- Armini NW. Hypnobreastfeeding Early? Success As Exclusive. J Husada Scale. 2016;
- Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia. Breastfeeding Counseling Guidebook. Directorate of Community Nutrition, editor. Jakarta: Directorate General of Public Health Development Directorate of Community Nutrition; 2007.
- Patel S, Patel S. The Effectiveness of Lactation Consultants and Lactation Counselors on Breastfeeding Outcomes. J Hum Lact. 2016;
- Lestari I, Rahmawati I, Windarti E, Hariyono. SPEOS (Stimulation of Endorphin, Oxytocin and Suggestive): Intervention to Improvement of Breastfeeding Production. Medico-Legal Update. 2019;
- Mas´adah M, Rusmini R. Techniques for Increasing and Streamlining Breast Milk Production in Post Sectio Caesaria Mothers. J Prime Health. 2018
How to Cite This
Copyright and Permissions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Publishing your paper with Jurnal Kesehatan Ibu dan Anak means that the author or authors retain the copyright in the paper. Jurnal Kesehatan Ibu dan Anak granted an exclusive reuse license by the author(s), but the author(s) are able to put the paper onto a website, distribute it to colleagues, give it to students, use it in your thesis etc, even commercially. The author(s) can reuse the figures and tables and other information contained in their paper published by Jurnal Kesehatan Ibu dan Anak in future papers or work without having to ask anyone for permission, provided that the figures, tables or other information that is included in the new paper or work properly references the published paper as the source of the figures, tables or other information, and the new paper or work is not direct at the private monetary gain or commercial advantage.
Jurnal Kesehatan Ibu dan Anak provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. This journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This license lets others remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
Jurnal Kesehatan Ibu dan Anak Open Access articles are distributed under this Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA). Articles can be read and shared for All purposes under the following conditions:
- BY: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- SA: If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.