Abstract

One of the organic waste generated from markets is pineapple waste. Parts of pineapple that
can be eaten is only 53 % while the remaining 47 % were dumped as waste. The peels of pineapple contain 13,65 % sugar, so that can be processed as bioethanol, i.e. ethanol made from
biomass containing cellulose or starch component. The preliminary trial found that the fermentation of pineapple waste in four days with four weight variations of Saccharomyces cereviceae
obtained the highest level of bioethanol at 27,7289 %, i.e. produced from 15 gram of that yeast
The purpose of this research was to know the influence of Saccharomyces cereviceae weight
variation (0 %, 20 %, 40 % and 60 %) and fermentation time variation (4 days, 7 days and 10
days) toward the levels of bioethanol produced from pineapple waste of Beringharjo Market, by
conducting a post-test only with control group designed experiment. The results show that the
highest levels of bioethanol produced was 40,45354 %, i.e. from the use of 60 % weight of Saccharomyces cereviceae and 10 days fermentation. However, the statistical analysis with two-way
anova test at 95 % level of confidence yielded a probability value >0,05 which means that the
levels of bioethanol produced from those yeast weight variation and fermentation time variation
are not significantly different.